How Do You Get a Police Report After a Car Accident?

The official police report is one of the most valuable pieces of evidence in your car accident claim—but how can you get a copy of this report after the crash?

In Texas, you have several options when it comes to requesting a police report after a car or motor vehicle collision. These reports are typically completed by law enforcement agencies and maintained by the state’s Department of Transportation (DOT), which keeps them on file in an online database. Law enforcement agencies also keep records of accident reports

Recovering the Crash Report Online

To view a copy of the crash report online, visit the Crash Report Online Purchase System (CRIS). From there, you can search for your crash report or download a previously purchased report. Note that, although police are required to submit accident reports to the TxDOT within 10 days of the crash, it can take up to 2 weeks (14 days) for your crash report to appear in the online database.

Additionally, to recover a crash report online, you will need to know at least one of the following:

  • The name of at least one party involved in the accident
  • The driver’s license or identification card number of one party involved in the crash
  • The vehicle identification number (VIN) of at least one vehicle involved in the crash
  • The TxDOT Crash ID assigned to the accident

You are required to pay a nominal fee in order to access your crash report online; regular copies cost $6 and certified copies cost $8.

One of the benefits of obtaining a crash report online is that you will receive your copy immediately. These crash reports are entirely confidential

Requesting a Copy of the Crash Report by Mail

You can also request a copy of your crash report by mail if you are unable to access or use the Crash Report Online Purchase System. To request a copy of the crash report by mail, you will need to first obtain a copy of the Texas Peace Officer’s Crash Report (CR-91). After completing this form, you can mail it—along with the required payment amount—to the address listed on the form.

Obtaining the Crash Report from the Law Enforcement Agency

Depending on where you are located, as well as where the accident took place, you may also be able to obtain a copy of the police report from the law enforcement agency that completed it. Typically, you can purchase a copy of the report online, by mail, or in person at the appropriate local law enforcement agency.

Reach Out to an Experienced Car Accident Attorney

Navigating the aftermath of a serious car accident can be incredibly challenging. Right now, your focus should be on getting the medical care and rest you need to heal. At Cole, Cole, Easley & Sciba, P.C., our Victoria car accident attorneys are prepared to handle every legal detail of your case—including obtaining all necessary documents, evidence, and paperwork—on your behalf. We can assist in building a powerful case built on evidence that seeks the maximum compensation you are owed.

If you need help getting a copy of your accident report, obtaining any other important paperwork, or navigating the claims filing process, do not hesitate to reach out to our team. We offer free initial consultations and contingency fees, meaning you never pay anything unless/until we recover compensation for you.

Contact us online or call our office at (361) 678-3233 today. We proudly serve clients throughout the state of Texas.

Related Posts
  • Should I Get a Lawyer for a Car Accident That Wasn't My Fault? Read More